Tuesday, August 15, 2006

When Sydney went B & W

It was a beautiful and sunny Tuesday morning today and the first time since May (when I returned from Manila) that I reported to work without a coat. At lunchtime, hubby and I even had a good walk over to a fastfood station and the weather was sweet.

But just when I thought winter is almost over, a thunderstorm hit Sydney around 4pm. It was loud then the city went black, I did notice that from where I was sitting, but poor IT slaves, like yours truly, don't get a good window-seat so I had no idea what was actually happening outside - couldn't be bothered to get up and walk to the window for I was too caught up with work. It was business as usual. Then when I left the office 30 past 5, the wind was the usual nice and cool, which I really like specially when I'm about to get into a train that is heated -- I get motion-sick easily when it's too warm in the train.

Our train ride on the way home stopped midway and didn't move for 30 minutes. We were informed that someone from the train ahead had a heart attack causing the delay for all trains operating on the same track! We patiently waited, I finished my Sudoku puzzle for the day, had a quick chat with my Ninong & cousin while hubby was reading the last few pages of his Robert Jordan pocketbook. Still oblivious of what had happened when the city went black, when we got to our station, we even went grocery-shopping before finally coming home.


After dinner and during the routine personal email checks and internet-news browsing, we found out that when the city went black it went white soon after ... some city streets were covered in near-ankle-deep hail. Visit the Sydney Morning Herald's picture slideshow to get a glimpse of how it looked like. (R photo courtesy of SMH) These photos are as much as we've seen.

Can't believe we missed it but can't really say we're sorry though ... thank God these all happened while we were still at work for I don't believe we were appropriately dressed for a sudden change in weather.

No comments: