Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Mama's YesterYear

One year ago, on this very day, Mama succumbed to her fight against Cancer of the Colon, with Liver metastasis, at the age of 54. It was at cockcrow Easter Tuesday.

Allow me to recount what happened last year:

Apr 10, 2006 - Holy Monday. Mama started showing signs of organ failures when she was denied of chemotherapy. She started with memory & judgement lapses, restlessness, eyesight blurs then she gradually lost the sense of touch, her facial appearance changed and she'd started craving for food she was never fond of before.

We were in Adelaide for the holy week but I've been kept up to date of what has been happenning and I've been told every now and then to keep on praying for mama for she's been acting really different.

Apr 15, 2006- Black Saturday. Mama was brought to the UST hospital from La Union after a week-long of deterioration. We've been informed after initial checks that she was having internal bleeding and that she may go after one major bleed. I got so emotionally weak, I attempted to talk to her on the phone but all I could tell her was I love her. I cried a river as I was miles away and could do nothing from where I was. It was the time my greatest migrant's fear was tested. This was when I wished Philippines was just an hour's flight away.

Apr 16, 2006 - Easter Sunday, we were back in Sydney and I got ready for my flight to Manila the next day. I called back home and spoke to Mama informing her that I'm coming home. When she asked why, I told her "for vacation". She replied back and said in Ilocano - "hala paspasam ngarud" ("hurry up then"). I told her "I love you Mama" and she said "I love you too".

Apr 17, 2006- Easter Monday, I travelled from Sydney to Manila. It felt like the flight was taking forever. I landed 5:30pm, went straight to the hospital ... it was a painful sight but rather than waste my time crying, I talked to her, told her how much I love her, how much I miss her ... I kept on talking to her, though I know she was listening she would not talk. I was told that since she woke up that day, she had not spoken a word. She would just moan but she could no longer speak any word. We decided to transport her back to La Union at 9:30pm. On the way home, in the ambulance with my sis & aunt, she called out & said "Dadddddyyyy".

Apr 18, 2006 - Easter Tuesday, we arrived home at 2:00am. After an hour, she started making sounds as if she was giving her last bilins. We were all beside her trying to figure out what she was saying - we said out loud what we knew she wanted to tell us and she would sound louder for concurrence. She did this for an hour or so until her voice was coarse. When her voice started fading, we each told our piece - we were all beside her in bed until she breathed her last.

It was a graceful exit for Mama when God claimed her back at about 4:25am.

Mama, I know you are at peace now with the Lord watching us from above. I miss you so much and you know you will forever have a special place in my heart. Happy birthday in your new-life! I love you.

No comments: