I woke up this morning earlier than usual because of a continuous vibrating sound. Apparently, some maintenance guy has started early to work (6:30am!) and was jack-hammering the floor in the ground floor of our apartment building. What did he think he was doing?? It was a wet and cold morning and he was waking everybody up!
But then I decided to start my day early so I took a shower earlier than usual. After shower and while brushing my teeth; I started hearing an alarm; so I opened the bathroom door and saw the fire alarm at the ceiling blinking. I quickly checked if I caused some smoke that may have set off the alarm; but didn't find any. I checked the windows and of course saw nothing because our view was the pool. The alarm continued on (with the sound getting louder and louder) and followed by instructions "Please proceed to the nearest exit and evacuate the building". I looked through the peephole and saw some neighbors going out ... so I opened my door and asked if it was real ... somebody said there was a Fire Truck outside. Oh great, I was in my robe and it was raining outside so I decided I'd put something on first, I quickly got into my thermals; grabbed a coat and took my bag.
I attempted to take the stairs but I heard and saw no-one down the stairs .. I decided to use the lift (and so did our next-door neighbor). I had the feeling it was a false alarm anyway so why bother using the stairs? It was 7am!
Thank goodness for as soon as we reached the lower ground; people who have evacuated earlier were there to take the lift back up to their units saying it's a false alarm. Poor 87-year old woman (on her robe as well) who took the stairs!
It was not a good morning for everyone I guess. I reckon someone who got really annoyed with the unusual "vibrating" sound wake-up call deliberately set the alarm off. We are yet to confirm and find out the real story behind the alarm .. but I hope it doesn't happen again specially this weekend since it's forecast to be bed-weather; perfect chance to sleep in.
Friday, July 14, 2006
False Fire Alarm
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment